Thursday, December 18, 2014

Reflective Essay

Reflection Essay The WRD 110 has been the most interesting and enjoyable 100 level courses that I have taken so far in my college career. The films and the readings provided in this course allowed me to apply what we learned on rhetoric to view the stories differently. The assignment on visual rhetoric is the one that stands out most in my memory, because before the moment I never thought about visual rhetoric or applied it to a visual project like the Last Meal Project. I will say that it didn’t lead me to view the campus community differently, because I had already been undergoing a change in my views do to other experience that occurred before this course. I did enjoy learning the different styles of communication, though I wish we had more time for our group speech. Learning about these styles, and putting them into practice, has improved my public speaking ability, especially my control of body language. The hands on style of Owen’s style pushed me out of my comfort zone and put me in a position to actually apply what I was learning. I would suggest that in future courses maybe have more discussions, but maybe highlight appropriate discussion techniques for the students. Now about the project…my biggest struggle was getting individuals from 4 Paws to respond to our group. Not much we could have changed about that. I have so proud of out documentary though, especially the editing and the quality of the interviews. I wish we could have filmed the families ourselves so we could have added more footage of them to the film. I was reasonable for the logistics such as scheduling interviews and filming times, citing our information, typing up and turning in our group assignments, compiling interview questions, and communicating with 4 Paws. I would say this is the best group I ever worked with! We were all very flexible and eager to help one another during the making of the film. I wish I could have been more involved with the editing and scheduled more interviews. However, I do feel I contributed a fair amount to the overall project, and I feel everyone else did as well. I wish they could be in all my groups!

No comments:

Post a Comment